Tuesday, June 1, 2010

and the Race Day I can't remember

Race Day 2010 dawned bright and clear.  Wahoo!  I woke up at 6am, 6:20am, 6:40am...every time I opened my eyes it was with a little bit more excitement - it's RACE DAY!!

Ironman and I got showers, got the car packed...chairs, grill, coolers, cheese, buns, condiments, grilling tools, water, soft drinks, beer...stopped for ice...repacked the coolers...and made it to our parking area by 8:45am.

Should I mention at this point that it was hot outside?

Patti had brought her sun shelter -- we've grown in wisdom over the years -- and we used the 'quote sheet' as a curtain.  Thank GOD for that sun shelter!  Before we even left for the parade laps, traditional songs, and general joy of the stands, I had consumed one traditional Race Day mimosa and 3 ten ounce bottles of water.  And I relieved my brother of a sixteen ounce bottle before we crossed 30th Street.

I broke down and drank a beer on the hike in to our seats with the National Guard.  Then I relieved Ironman of a bottle of water between the gate and our seat.  That's about the point where everything starts to get fuzzy.

I got really cold when we walked under the stands.  I kept shivering when I felt a breeze.  My foot kept feeling like it was on fire.  So I put more sunscreen on so I wouldn't have a burn on my foot.  I felt sick to my stomach.  Jim Nabors sang and the race started; I felt uncomfortably hot. 

Ironman told me to go relax on the golf course (for those unfamiliar with the track, there's a pro-level golf course inside & around parts of the course, perfect for relaxing when you've had a little too much to drink, when you'd like to get away from the noise of the engines, or escape from the 'interesting' strangers who happen to be seated next to you).  And the next thing I know, I'm sitting against a fence under the bleachers, there's a guy in a yellow shirt identifying himself as Carl, and he's offering to get me a wet paper towel.

Hmm.  Lost a little bit of time there.

And then there's this-woman-whose-name-I-can't-remember who is an EMS person who used to be in the National Guard unit Ironman was in who tells me I need to go to the infield hospital because she thinks my skin is too hot.  And Carl took my can of Cherry Coke, but I don't remember drinking Cherry Coke, but I must have gotten it from Ironman at some point because I know I had at least two in our cooler.

And then I'm in the ambulance praying not to get sick because it feels like we're driving 400 miles an hour and I'm facing backward which isn't a good thing in the past few years.  And then I see RG (guy from high school)(which totally shocks the heck out of me, what the heck is HE doing here? what's more, I have a can coozie hanging from my neck, I look like such a drunk!) in the hospital and they want to give me an i.v. but instead I suck down five glasses of water and they let me go and somehow Ironman is waiting for me outside.

What I can remember of the day is stretched thin and very surreal.


I missed the whole dang race. Suckage supreme.

Oh, but I did see Elvis. In full 70s regalia. Surely that wasn't a hallucination? Wasn't it a scavenger hunt item??? Anyone???


  1. 'Uncle' JohnJune 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM

    Susan sure takes after her dad in her ability to tell a story. It's like painting a picture. Not as much fun for her, I'm sure.


  2. I am so sorry you had such a bad day. How crappy is that!

    I'm also glad the girls stayed overnight. They were so much help and so much fun that evening and the next day with their aunt and uncles. Dad and I took all four to Mass. I was a reader. All went very well all day. We played Putt-Putt. Did not realize the temperature. We almost melted into butter! We cooled off with popsicles as soon as we got home.

    Sunday was a perfect day for playing in the water.


Thoughts? Comments? Silliness? Please share!

Related Posts with Thumbnails